Friday, January 10, 2014

Why do I love Scrapbooking ?



When my ex husband announced that his employer wanted to send him to New York as a financial analyst for 2 years, a strange mix of feelings overcame me.
I started to contemplate the realities of moving Rocío, our 10-month-old daughter, to another country, of adjusting to life and work abroad, and of becoming a trailing partner who was leaving behind her own career.
We moved to New York in September 1989. Two years later, Morena, our youngest daughter was born there, and 3 months later we moved to Boca Raton, Florida.
What started as a 2 year assignment in New York, turned out to be a 10 year expat life experience. New York, Boca Raton, FL, Venezuela, Greenville, SC… many places, many memories.
As an expat you work and shop, and do laundry, and clean out your basement much like your neighbors; you watch television and go to movies or plays; you celebrate local holidays and take part in festivals; you support local sports teams and, most importantly, you make new friends, who become your new family and help you deal with homesickness, and navigate a new language and culture.
Living the expat life gave us lots of magical memories that we’ll cherish always. 


This is the main reason why I love scrapbooking… It allows me to dig deep for those memories, people who touch my life, places I have been, family and friends, and share them with my daughters, since I don’t want them to forget all those little moments in their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment